Students, on successful graduation from the various options, can take up careers as follows:
A graduate of Science Laboratory technology who trained in Biochemistry techniques has wide range of job opportunities in the following areas;
- Environmental health department; they are involved in analysing food samples to consider prosecution and to protect public health.
- Water industry; collection and analysis of water samples in order to maintain the quality of public water supply.
- Educational institutions/Research institutes; support science teachers, lecturers, researchers and students in laboratory research/projects.
- Food and Beverages production industries, they are involved in quality control/assurance of food products
- Food/ drug administration and control agencies
- Government ministries and Agencies ( Ministry of science and technology, Health)
- In oil and Gas industries; identification of biomarkers tracing sources and petroleum migration and history.
- Medical/diagnostic laboratories
- Pharmaceutical Industries
Graduates can find employment opportunities in Universities, Polytechnics and Biomedical Research Centers as lecturers and / research fellows. They can find employment opportunities in some government agencies such as Centre for Disease Control (CDC), Food and Drug Administration agencies, water corporations, waste management agencies, environmental control and protection agencies, environmental impact assessment agencies and other quality control agencies.
Graduates can also find employment in a variety of industrial (e.g. food/pharmaceutical industries) establishments as well as in medical, public health, agricultural and veterinary laboratories. Opportunities also exist for graduates in the fermentation industries as represented by the breweries, alcohol distilleries, as well soft drink and fruit juice production industries.
Products of this programme, who are Science Laboratory Technologists, will play very important roles in meeting the human resources needs of the technological aspects of industries, universities, and research institutes. The successful graduates of this option are equipped for higher studies and careers in;
- Teaching, Research Institutes, Chemical Laboratories,
- Ministries of Science and Technology, Education, Health, Agriculture and Rural Development, Environment, Water Resources,
- Other diverse industries such as, Vegetable oil, Soap and Detergents, Paints and Vanishes, Plastics, Breweries, Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, Sugar, Paper and Pulp, Textile, Fertilizer, Cement, Ceramics, Iron and Steel, Oil and Gas etc.
Hospitals, Educational institutions, Food industries, Oil companies, Breweries, Petrochemical industries, Pharmaceutical companies, Agro-based industries, Cosmetics industries, Quality control officers in different companies, Some others include water industry, pharmacology research labs, Physiology research labs, schools/institutions of technology as teaching staff, establish personal scientific research laboratories, large public limited companies in industry in areas such as cosmetics, textiles, metal, oil and plastic and public health organizations, specific government departments and agencies or government-funded research institutions, environmental agencies utility companies, research and forensic science institutions, food manufacturing companies etc.
A student of Science Laboratory Technology (SLT, Physics/Electronics) on graduation should be able to critically appraise the advantages and limitations of individual analytical techniques to ensure that most appropriate procedures are selected for use in tackling new problems in the universities, research institutes, industries and environmental analyses.
In addition, employment opportunities exist in many related fields, such as computing, communications, industrial and quality controls, aerospace, biomedical electronics, semi-conductor fabrication, and instrumentation, universities, laboratories, assembling plants, etc. Employee assignments ordinarily involve constructions, calibrations, product testing, troubleshooting of circuits and systems, or field maintenance and repair.